Welcome to you all for the 2021 season and let us hope and pray that it runs to its Autumn conclusion without interruption!
We all have our more important personal recollections of this past year, but the Club itself weathered the Covid storm well. A lot of cricket was played from mid July onwards, but sadly though there could be so little of the accompanying social fun that goes with it – no teas, no impromptu bbqs, no 6 a side and Open Day, no Ladies cricket festival or even the Annual Dinner and Awards. But it was nevertheless remarkable how much fun was had – a tribute to all the players.
We start this season playing under the same Covid regulations as last, but with the hope that things may relax later in the summer.
Who knows? But I do assure you that if and when we are allowed to organise social events, we will!
We do, however, have a wealth of cricket to look forward to. The Men have full Sunday and T20 cards – Hein, Cort and Charlie have worked so hard to generate enthusiasm and the results are there to see, both in terms of the cricket played and new membership. The LBWs, under the leadership of Nic and her team, have inspired a terrific growth in Ladies softball cricket such that we have two teams entered for the inaugural ND Women’s League. The Buckeroos will again play in the u13 league and this season will mark Simon’s last as Coach after I can’t remember how many years. A Long Service Medal is due!
Finally there are thanks to be given. To the Committee and others, who have worked so hard to keep the show going over this difficult year. To our VPs and sponsors who have yet again been so generous. To our playing members who supported the Club so well when we reopened last July. And to Ian and Wendy who made sure that last season could happen and that this one will, due to all their work on the ground.
The best of luck to all, Robin
Dynamos Cricket provides boys and girls from 8-11 years old with 6+ sessions of non-stop fun. Each week there will be a focus on a different cricket skill to build their confidence and ability, before they take part in a 60-ball countdown cricket match.
Dynamos Cricket will help grow your child’s love of the game, and will give them the opportunity to socialise and make friends in a safe environment. For further details and the booking form please follow the link below:
All Stars Cricket provides boys and girls from 5-8 years old with 8 weeks of non-stop fun. The activity and game based programme is suitable for all skill levels, providing your child with the foundations to begin a lifelong love of physical activity and cricket, while making friends in a safe and enjoyable environment. For further details and the booking form please follow the link below:
The website now has 2021 fixture dates for the Men’s Sunday , Stinger’s evening, LBW and Buckeroo matches.
We are now asking all players (inc Youth) to register as soon as possible. We are using a very simple online form to register players this season, one form for adults, one form for under 18s. Links to the online registration form have been provided to the players groups, please give Cort Taylor a shout if you need it emailing to you or have any queries. This season we will be using the Slate App to collect subscription fees as well as match fees across the whole club, this should considerably ease the burden on team captains and coaches to collect cash each week and remember who has or who hasn’t paid! Once you have completed the online registration form you will be added into the Slate App. Further details below
FAQ info below:
1. Can I not just pay cash? Whether you choose to use this functionality is entirely up to you if you prefer to pay cash you can still do so. But we’re hoping most of you will recognise the convenience of paying via the Slate app and not having to drive past the cash point on the way to the game. It also saves a load of hassle for already busy club volunteers!
2. Is it secure / does the club get my bank details? Slate partners with Gocardless which is a known electronic payment provider which is like Paypal. The systems are secure and encrypted to international standards. All payment is dealt with by Gocardless, the Club and Slate do not have access to any of your bank details.
3. Can the club take money without my permission? No, the system works by sending you a request to authorise the payment which you do via the free app on your phone, if the request isn’t authorised then no payment is made. If you have a child playing for an adult team, you just need to sign them up with a unique email address for each child, but you can use the same bank details for multiple people. They can then log into the app and pay their match fees, or you can do it if you prefer.
4. Is this going to cost me anything? No, there is a transaction fee, but the club will be absorbing this and not passing it on to members.
5. It all sounds very complicated and I’m not very good with technology? Having tested the system, it’s all quite simple however we appreciate not everyone is as comfortable with technology as others. If you are struggling to get set up just email email@example.com and they will help you.
Our first Sunday match of 2020 began with the presentation by Pam Maynard of a commemorative bell in memory of her husband, Tony Maynard, an enthusiastic umpire and club supporter.
Pam, supported their family, rang the bell to signify the start of the match against Marnhull. Thanks to Rodney Wayman for these memories of the day.